Churches in Sussex
SUSSEX CHURCH PLANS, No. XC
There is mention of a little church here in the Domesday Survey. Some carved
stones from a 12th century building were discovered on the site about the year
1900, but the present fabric seems to date from the early 14th century. When the
Chancel was " restored " by Richard Ward (1677--1706) the chancel arch
must have been removed and the nave extended eastwards, at the expense of the
chancel as shown conjecturally on the plan. The existence of the piscina serving
the south altar of the nave confirms this. The south and north doors are
blocked, the entrance being through the west wall which was rebuilt in the 18th
century, when according to an inscription under the royal arms (Queen Anne) John
Gratwick restored the church in 1710. At the west end of the roof is a small
weatherboarded belfry with two bells under a small spire.
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.